Pulmonary Medicine Services at Middlesex Hospital
Some of the conditions our physicians diagnose and treat include bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, pneumonia, sleep apnea, as well as the more unusual disorders such as sarcoidosis, a slow chronic disease in which normal tissue is replaced by granules of epithelium and lymphoid cells.
Lung problems associated with hypersensitivity or occupation, acute and chronic lung diseases, and pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary vascular diseases, are also part of the pulmonary team’s expertise.
- Pulmonary Medicine – evaluation and caring for patients with problems involving the lungs. Examples include but are not limited to asthma, emphysema, interstitial lung disease, pleural effusions, sarcoidosis and pulmonary fibrosis.
- Critical Care Medicine – caring for the seriously ill patients hospitalized in the intensive care unit.
- Hospitalists – managing medical patients in the hospital when your primary care physician has an office based practice.
- Infectious Disease – evaluating, tracking and caring for patients with serious infections.
- Sleep Medicine – evaluation and treatment for a range of problems related to sleep disorders.
- Pulmonary Function Tests – breathing tests performed to evaluate lung function and lung disease.
- Pulmonary Exercise Testing – detects abnormalities that cause unexplained shortness of breath or inability to exercise.