Are You a Candidate for BRCA Testing?
We provide BRCA gene testing and panel genetic testing for adults who, based on personal or family history, are likely to have an inherited genetic alteration. Some of the factors we use to determine if you are a candidate for the genetic test are:
- If you were diagnosed with breast cancer before the age of 50
- If you were diagnosed wtih ovarian cancer, bilateral breast cancer, or both at any age
- If you are a male who was diagnosed with breast cancer at any age
- If you have a blood relative diagnosed with breast cancer at or before the age of 45
- If you have two or more blood relatives diagnosed with breeast cancer, at least one before the age of 50
- If you have three or more blood relatives diagnosed with breast cancer, at any age
- If you have a blood relative diagnosed with ovarian cancer at any age
- If you have a male relative who has been diagnosed with breast cancer
- If you are of Eastern European (Ashkenazi) Jewish ancestry, with a family history of breast or ovarian cancer
If you have any hereditary risk factors for breast or ovarian cancer, you can contact us to make an appointment with our hereditary risk assessment practitioners. Additionally, when receiving a mammogram at Middlesex Hospital, our technicians will ask you about your family history of breast and ovarian cancer. If it determined that you are at increased risk, a hereditary risk assessment evaluation may be recommended.