Therapeutic Gentle Massage
What is therapeutic gentle massage?
- Massage therapy can help alleviate symptoms of treatment, reduce anxiety levels, and help keep one’s sense of self intact. Touch was never meant to be a luxury. It is a basic human need. It is an action that validates life and gives hope to both the receiver and the giver. Potential benefits of massage are:
- Relieves side effects of cancer treatment
- Reduction of pain
- Reduces stress and depression
- Promotes sleep and relaxation
- Supports the immune system
- Eases muscle tension
- Enhances body image
- Contributes to general quality of life and well-being
When are massages offered?
Massages are offered by appointment only.
Where are the sessions located?
- Middlesex Hospital Cancer Center
- 536 Saybrook Road, Middletown, CT
Who can participate?
Cancer patients as well as Middlesex Hospital employees and community members are welcome to participate in these services.
How do I sign up or find out more information?
Please call us at (860) 358-2094 or e-mail us at Massage@midhosp.org for more information.
Our Massage Therapists
- “…a great massage, pleasant person, nice setting.”
- “…excellent service!!!”
- “…wonderful, affordable and best of all, Kate is specially trained in therapeutic massage for cancer patients…an added bonus!”
- “… a very skilled therapist. The price is “very” reasonable – due to this I can go more often. It is beneficial for my body and mind.”
- “…very relaxing and I would recommend her to anyone!”
- “I had immediate relief of pain which was chronic during chemo.”
- “I feel that massage is a great mode for relaxation and an improved sense of well-being.”
Kate Powers is a Licensed Massage Therapist (CT License #005465) and cancer survivor who has completed a 56-hour oncology massage program at Boston Medical Center specializing in caring for clients with cancer- practicing simple, safe, effective massage therapy. She also specializes in mastectomy massage.
Don Chevalier, LMT is another Licensed Massage Therapist and is a graduate of the CT Center for Massage Therapy, where he is currently teaching. He also has earned his certification in orthopedic massage, through the Orthopedic Massage Education and Research Institute.
Here are some comments by people who have experienced Therapeutic Gentle Massage at the Cancer Center!
People said that they would recommend this service to someone else because their experience with therapeutic gentle massage was:
The therapeutic gentle massage practitioner was:
Other thoughts on therapeutic gentle massage: