TransOral Robotic Surgery (TORS) for Sleep Apnea Treatment
What are the benefits of TORS?
- Eliminates the need for mouthpieces or breathing devices generally used for sleep apnea treatment
- Minimal incisions/Less scarring
- Faster recovery time
- The surgery is primarily for patients whose sleep apnea is due to having tongue-based obstruction because it focuses on reducing the size of the base of the tongue.
- Patients that require this procedure are assessed during an in-office examination, which includes a review of recent sleep studies, and an evaluation with a scope to identify the levels of tissue obstruction.
- The sleep apnea procedure (TORS) involves the actual surgery and a 1-2 day hospital stay after the surgery.
- Full recovery is expected to take about three weeks.
- A sleep study is then conducted about three months after surgery to ensure that the procedure was successful.